Friday, August 12, 2016

Past, Present & Future





Recently a Client asked me "Why do you look at the past when we want to know the future?" and I loved that question and I although I responded it really got me thinking after the fact that this might be a question that many have. 

So here are my thoughts...

For me it helps to know ones past for me to better understand the present and future. 

In Tarot each card can have hundreds of different meanings. So it helps to know the history of the situation in order to pull out the meaning of that particular card in that particular Reading for that particular situation. 

I'm not the best at analogies but it's kind of like going to a Doctor. You go in and you're not feeling well. Pain in your neck, shortness of breath, numbness. These symptoms can be any number of things and the Doctor can choose to run test after test until it's determined what the root of the problem is or he could look at your medical history. Ah, heart disease runs in the family. Knowing your history helps to better explain your present and future. 

Back to Tarot...

Someone will ask a question "Why does X run hot and cold with his feelings? Sometimes I feel like he doesn't like me."

We could pull the King of Swords which may possibly mean he can be cold and unfeeling. But that would make him seem like a not so nice person, right?

If we dug to his past and maybe pulled the 5 of Cups we'd know he's been hurt in the past. Knowing that piece of information better explains his actions and better explains the King of Swords. 

He may come off as cold and unfeeling on the outside but that is because he's been hurt in the past and he's guarding himself from being hurt again. 

So now we know it's not that he doesn't necessarily not like this person or that he's trying to be mean but it's more that he is protecting his heart. 

So again...knowing the history helps to better explain the now and what is to come. 

Does that make sense? What are your thoughts?